Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Tell me about your Christmas: Frances in San Salvador


My case is a bit peculiar, but that is likely the case for most people!
San Salvador

I was born in El Salvador but my mother is Scottish, so our Christmas originally started on the Scottish side, but over time she added a Salvadorian twist to it.

Initially we had a simple lunch on the 25th, with the family, and we opened the presents that morning, supposedly Santa came in through the chimney but in our case he surely must have come in through the garden because in El Salvador not even the best houses have chimneys!

Over time things changed, we started having a nice dinner on the evening of the 24th, and after that we got to go outside and set firecrackers with the other kids in our neighborhood… then at midnight it was a huge firecracker and fireworks explosion from all the homes in our neighborhood!

Food in our home consisted of this nice rice recipe that a Mexican friend had taught my mom, arroz capiado made with layers of cream cheese, corn, green pepper and mushrooms, with turkey, apple salad… and for desert this delicious chocolate cake that my mom prepared, and an apple pie that was divine as well… I’m getting hungry saying all this!

A "chompipollo"

As I said, we were a bit peculiar, because in El Salvador the tradition is to eat a chompipollo. A chicken or turkey that has been marinating overnight, then baked and served with a vegetable sauce and pureed yams.

No comments :