Sunday, January 31, 2016

The measure of success


My boyfriend, Fred, is currently researching the subject of this master’s thesis in accounting.
Meet Fred (who isn't
always that serious)
I find the prospect of writing a thesis on ANYTHING related to accounting daunting. A short while ago he said something about using non-financial measure to determine things in a business: fraud, success, internal loss. He got me thinking about that, measuring success outside the books.

I mentioned in my last article, about the credit union's mission, that I’d talk next about our Credit Union’s vision for the future; a business’s vision is what comes from the successful performance of that business’s mission, in case you did not realize. OAS Staff federal Credit Union’s vision is “To be our members’ first choice for their financial needs, worldwide”.

You can’t imagine how hard it is to do that. For starters, there is no pleasing everyone. Not long ago someone who isn’t even our member reviewed us with the comment “I’ll never open an account at OAS FCU. Their lobby business hours are 9 to 2.”

To this person I would have liked to say that if that’s their measure of what makes a good financial institution they should, by all means, go to Bank of America. I worked there, too, when it was still NationsBank. The closest thing the customer service at their teller line compares to is a sheep shearing line, in every sense of the word: you’re treated like cattle and you’re there to get fleeced. But hey, they have longer hours and they smile!

Let me give you a measure of being a members’ first choice for one’s financial needs. Years ago my boss, the CEO of the Credit Union, Carlos, called me and asked me to his office. When I came by, there was a gentleman there, a member, and I was asked to come in and sit down.

There, Carlos told me that this gentleman had just informed him that he was about to file for bankruptcy. And that he had come to us to tell us before we heard from the court; and also to tell us that he had asked his lawyer that his debts to OAS Staff Federal Credit Union not be included in his bankruptcy, meaning that he would continue paying his loans with the Credit Union. I remember that this man looked embarrassed, but he looked at me and told me, us, that we at the Credit Union has always treated him so well, helped him when nobody else would, and that he wanted to continue his account with us if we allowed him.

Carlos and I just looked at each other and I am sure that he, as much as I, wanted to hug this man. Because you see, this was irrefutable, honest proof that our efforts to help our members with their money in all stages of life was real, in that we had helped this man feel so cared for that he had done such a generous gesture towards us. You can’t imagine how proud we were, both of this member, and of our Credit Union. Needless to say, this gentleman is our member to this day and I hope he reads this and sees how much his gesture meant to us.

I have been thinking about the subject of this article for a week now, and all have gone through all sorts of approaches to it. But in the end I am not going to tell you about their services, products, quality of service, or hours. Because you know them, and if you don’t you can always email them, call them, walk in, and send a message via Online Banking or even via Twitter (@OASFCU). No here is what I would like you to understand about their vision:

OAS FCU will always be there for you: If you need help balancing your checkbook;
Members, the Credit Union's
most important asset
if you have a recurring $20 charge on your account and you’re sure you haven't authorized it, if you need find out how much home loan you and your partner could afford but aren't willing to commit, just yet, if just to have a general idea; if you don’t know how to make your first personal or home budget; if you’re travelling and have lost your wallet and need money ASAP; if you’re embarrassed because you can’t make ends meet and need guidance; if you worry about your kid's tuition in 12 years, or about not having insurance.

They will do any, all and more of those things, day in and day out. Because to them that is how they meet their own expectations about serving members: with integrity, honesty, and care. And they will set out to help you no matter where you live; sometimes they may not be able to help you with everything, but they will try and they will, and I can say this with the utmost certainty, go out of the way to help you find that help in the cases that they cannot provide it.

And I don’t ask you to take my word from it, even if I have seen it time and time again. No, I ask you to try and put them to the test. I am sure that once you and others realize the extent of their commitment to serving us, their members, they will fulfill their vision.



(A final note, because I have been asked to mention this: while it’s true that the Credit Union’s lobby hours are 9 to 2, they answer phones until 3, and emails received before 5 pm each business day).

No comments :